Bill Altenhof is a life-long resident of St. Clair Beach. He attended St. Gregory Elementary School and St. Anne’s High school. He graduated from the University of Windsor in 1995 with an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering (Engineering Materials Option), in 1997 with a Masters of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering and in 1999 with a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering.
He is a tenured Professor in the Department of Mechanical, Automotive and Materials Engineering at the University of Windsor, where he has been employed since 1999. He is also a licensed Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario and is the Editor of the International Journal of Crashworthiness.
Bill has developed a world class research team at the University of Windsor with a focus on material deformation for safety applications. His research has resulted in US Patents and some very innovative safety designs for child restraint seats which are now implemented today. His research activities have involved and engaged a number of large and small companies throughout the Windsor-Essex Region, as well as on an International level. In April 2016, Bill hosted the International Crashworthiness Symposium at the University of Windsor. This event attracted automotive engineers and industry leaders from around the world to our region.
In 2004 the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) awarded Bill with the Ralph E. Teetor Education Award which recognizes outstanding engineering educators. In 2008, he received The Engineering Medal - Young Engineer Award from Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO). He has also been recognized as one of the Top 50 Alumni of Achievement from the University of Windsor.
He has been a member of Good Shepherd Parish (formerly St. Gregory Parish) all his life, serving as altar server, lector, member of the finance committee and currently is the chair of the building committee.
Bill is an active Tecumseh resident. He has completed triathlons, a half-marathon and many local races, including the annual Tecumseh Terry Fox Walk/Run. Bill is often seen throughout the village running, biking and playing soccer with his family and friends at Green Acres Optimist Park.
Bill is married to Andrea and together they are blessed with 12 year old twin boys Michael and Jacob.
|Ward 2 Councillor - Bill Altenhof|
Important Issues for 2016 – 2018
• Enhanced safety for pedestrians, cyclist and vehicles
• Maintain and enhance services for residents
• Attention and enhancement to infrastructure
• Appropriate education and abatement of pests to ensure a healthy community
• Ensure fiscal responsibility
• PEO - Professional Engineering Ontario
• SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
• University of Windsor, Faculty Association
• Member Good Shepherd Parish
• Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
• Reviewer Panel for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship program
• University of Windsor Faculty Coordinating Council for Engineering
• University of Windsor Student Senate Committee
• University of Windsor Faculty of Engineering Appeals Committee
• Organizer of the first International Crashworthiness Symposium (April 2016)
• Child Restraint Seat Installer volunteering with the Tecumseh OPP
• Life-long member of Good Shepherd Parish
• Parent volunteer with St. Gregory School and D.M. Eagle School
• Mentor and past judge for the Canada Wide Science Fair
• Coached Tecumseh T-Ball and McAuliffe Park Soccer Teams
• Past Member of Windsor Aquatic Club (WAC)
• Timer for Windsor Aquatic Club
• Participant in many local running races and triathlons