Municipal Election - Monday, October 22, 2018
The current term of office is December 1, 2014 to November 30, 2018.
Nomination Period: commences on May 1, 2018 at the Clerk's Office during regular office hours.
Nomination Day: Friday, July 27, 2018 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. at the Clerk's Department.
Election Campaign Period: begins on the day a nomination for office is filed and ends on December 31. A contribution SHALL NOT be made to or accepted by or on behalf of a person unless he or she is a candidate.
Candidate Information Session
Eligible persons interested in filing a nomination, and becoming a candidate in the 2018 Municipal Election, are invited to attend a Candidates Information Session to be held Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 7:00 pm, Essex County Civic Centre, Council Chambers (2nd floor), 360 Fairview Avenue West, Essex, ON N8M 1Y6.
So You Want to Run for Council (Online Course)
The Association of Municipalities of Ontario will be holding an online training course for individuals planning or who have already registered to run for a seat on municipal council called - So You Want to Run for Council". The cost of the course is $66.37 plus HST.
The course examines the rules that govern anyone running for council and provides other information for elected officials.
The course content covers:
- Reasons that you should and should not run for Council;
- What you should know before you run for Office;
- Dealing with the media;
- Techniques for working with others;
- The roles of Council members and staff
- What the true power and influence of municipal government is;
- Transparency and accountability in Government;
- and much more...
Ontario residents are now able to visit voterlookup.ca to find out whether their information is accurately reflected for inclusion on the Preliminary List of Electors for the 2018 elections. Eligible electors can also update their information, add a name to an address, or change their school support. Voterlookup.ca is easy to use. To log in, all you need is your property address or assessment roll number and your full name and date of birth. Visit voterlookup.ca where you can ensure that your information is correctly reflected on the Voters' List for the upcoming municipal and school board elections. Have your say. Log on today!
The only methods of voting will be Internet and Telephone.
Eligible Voters: You may vote anytime between 8:00 a.m. on Friday, October 12, 2018 and 8:00 p.m. on Monday, October 22, 2018.
Offices to be Elected
- Deputy Mayor
- Greater Essex County District School Board
- Conseil scolaire Viamonde
- Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board
Conseil scolaire catholique Providence
|Position||Number to be Elected|
|Mayor||- one to be elected at large|
|Deputy Mayor||- one to be elected at large|
- one to be elected - Ward 1, Ward 2, Ward 3, Ward 4 and Ward 5
- a resident of the Town of Tecumseh, or an owner or tenant of the land in the Town, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
- a Canadian citizen;
- at least 18 years old; and
- not prohibited from voting by law.
- any person who is not qualified;
- a person who is serving a sentence or imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution;
- a corporation;
- a person acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity;
a person who has been convicted of corrupt practices under theMunicipal Elections Act , 1996 if voting day in the current election is less than five years after voting day in the election in respect of which he or she was convicted; and
anyone who is prohibited by law from voting.