The Public Works Department is responsible for keeping the streets clear of snow and ice in the Town of Tecumseh during inclement weather. Whenever there is a risk of snow accumulation on residential and rural roadways, the Public Works Department will monitor and respond accordingly to the assessed risk.
In order to facilitate greater winter control efficiency, residents are reminded to remove all vehicles from the road following a snow fall.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR SNOW REMOVAL
- Be patient. In heavy snowfalls it takes us longer to get all our streets cleared.
- Be a good neighbour. Help those who may not be able to shovel their driveways and sidewalks.
- Don't park on the street during or immediately following a snowfall. Plows cannot operate properly if there are parked vehicles on the street.
- The Highway Traffic Act and the Town of Tecumseh by-law, Bylaw 2016-06, prohibit the placing of snow or ice on a roadway.
- Don't place snow from sidewalks or driveways on the street.
Depositing snow or ice on the street creates hazardous traffic conditions and this could result in an accident.
The Ontario Highway Traffic Act (R.S.O. 1990, Chapter H.8 sec 181) does not allow any person to deposit snow or ice onto a roadway without written permission from the Ministry of Transportation or road authority. The Town does not permit piling snow on any Town owned parking lots. All snow on your property should be piled next to the opening of your driveway.
For safety reasons, when clearing snow and ice, property owners and occupants are requested that snow and ice are not placed:
- immediately beside or blocking access to a fire hydrant
- in such a manner that it would block drainage to any drain, sewer catch basin or culvert
As snow and ice builds up on the street, clearing the area around catch basins (sewer grates), curbside gutters and drainage ditches will help to prevent flooding and property damage.
- Drive a safe distance behind the plow. You may see them, but they may not see you if you are following too closely.
- Only pass snow removal vehicles when a safe passing area is available, that is clear of snow and treated with salt and/or sand. Do not pass on the right.
- Watch for the plow blade when passing snow plows. They may be obscured by snow and cleared debris.
- Don't travel beside a snow plow. They can shift sideways after hitting snow packs or drifts.
- When approaching an oncoming snow plow, reduce speed and move to the right side of the road if safe to do so.
- Plows can create temporary white-out conditions with swirling snow. Safely pull to the side or slow down in these conditions.
During winter snow clearing operations, the Town of Tecumseh will only assume responsibility for mailboxes that are damaged by the snowplows.
We do NOT replace or repair mailboxes that are:
· damaged by thrown snow
· in poor condition as a result of age or vandalism
· non-compliant with the Town’s installation specifications
Mailbox provision, installation and maintenance are SOLELY the responsibility of the owner. For more information, a copy of the Rural Mailbox Policy is provided below.
SNOW REMOVAL ON SIDEWALKS
Does the Town of Tecumseh have a snow removal Bylaw?
Yes. The Town of Tecumseh passed Bylaw 2016-06 on January 12, 2016.
All snow and ice must be removed from sidewalks in front of commercial buildings within four (4) hours of snow fall or ice formation.
All snow and ice must be removed from sidewalks in front of residential buildings within twelve (12) hours of snow fall or ice formation.
The Town will clear the following sidewalks during the winter months:
|ROAD||DESCRIPTION OF ROUTE|
|TECUMSEH ROAD||Both sides from westerly limits to Derby Road|
|ARLINGTON BLVD||Northerly from Tecumseh Road to St. Gregory|
|ST. GREGORY ROAD||Manning Road to Arlington Boulevard|
|BRIGHTON ROAD||Derby Road to Riverside Drive|
|RIVERSIDE DRIVE||North side from Brighton Road to Ganatio Trail|
|MANNING ROAD||Riverside Drive to Lanoue Street|
|LANOUE STREET||Manning Road to Buster Reaume Park|
|LESPERANCE ROAD||Riverside Drive to County Road 42|
|SOUTHFIELD DRIVE||Tecumseh Road to Southfield Park including Trail|
The municipal objective is to complete snow clearance or salting of the above listed sidewalks within 24 hours from the cessation of a normal snowfall.
Continuous snowfall sometimes makes our task challenging. We appeal to our neighbours to "pitch in" and ensure that our sidewalks are clear and passable to all residents.
REMOVAL OF SNOW ON STREETS
The Public Works Department is responsible for keeping the streets clear of snow and ice in the Town of Tecumseh during inclement weather. Whenever there is a risk of snow accumulation on residential and rural roadways the Public Works Department will monitor and respond accordingly to the assessed risk.
The Town of Tecumseh is divided into 6 snow routes. Streets that are main arterials will be plowed first followed by residential streets. Please be advised that during a snow fall these routes may be altered. Click on the map below to see the streets that are plowed.