The Tecumseh Road Main Street Community Improvement Project Area represents the historical commercial core of the Town and comprises an approximate 1.2 kilometre corridor centred on Tecumseh Road from the VIA Railway on the east to the Town’s border with the City of Windsor just beyond Southfield Drive on the west (see Figure 1 below). The area encompasses 75 acres and approximately 115 properties with a mix of commercial and residential along with many tracks of underutilized land.
The purpose and effect of the Tecumseh Road Main Street CIP is to establish a community developed vision and provide a means for planning and promoting development activities to effectively use lands, buildings, and facilities to bring about revitalization and encourage both private and public investment in the CIP Area. This area aspires to serve as Tecumseh’s “downtown” or “main street” by becoming an important focal point in the community through the provision of a wide range of commercial services, mixed use (residential and commercial) development and unique amenities in a vibrant and walkable environment. To help achieve this vision, the CIP provides for a range of financial incentive programs to registered owners and tenants of land and buildings within the CIP Area. Please refer to attachments below for further information on the CIP's vision, design guidelines and financial incentives.
CIP VISION STATEMENT
" Tecumseh’s Main Street is a community place for commerce and gathering. Designed for walking and anchored by its historic buildings, the street is both a place to live and a regional destination. As the heart of the Tecumseh community, it is a gathering place with unique amenities and supported by great festivals and events. "
Interactive CIP Vision Rendering - Click or tap on each icon for more information.
*All images are conceptual only
West Main Street Node & Gateway
- New Main Street gateway and commercial frontage - infill development and enhanced landscaping
Tecumseh Road: New Cross-Section
- A reduction to one travel lane in either direction
- Lay-by on-street parking
- New high quality streetscaping
- Mixed-use commercial/retail development frontage, with retail at grade and residential above
Higher Density Residential Development
- Duplexes, townhouses and apartment development as future build-out of southern part of existing properties
Future Development Sites Along Railway Corridor
- Opportunity for residential development along railway corridor (townhouses, live-work units)
Central Main Street Node
- New mixed-use commercial/retail development to frame and animate the plaza (commercial/retail at-grade, residential above)
St. Anne’s School Community Node
- New community destination south of Main Street - adaptive reuse of existing building and lands
Town Parking Lot as Flexible Event Space
- Municipal parking lot, flanked by new mixed-use commercial, and as opportunity for market festival space and other event
Tecumseh-Lesperance Heritage Node South
- The “four corners” eastern Main Street gateway
- Celebration of heritage character buildings and open spaces
- Enhanced parkette east of the intersection
- Tightened intersection and enhanced pedestrian crossing and streetscaping
Tecumseh-Lesperance Heritage Node North
- Pedestrian oriented node with plazas, mixed-use commercial, celebration of heritage assets, and civic open spaces
- New civic promenade to demarcate the heritage streetcar route, with a double row of street trees and enhanced streetscaping, a multi-use pathway, and the integration of existing parking and civic open spaces
For further information on the Tecumseh Road Main Street CIP, please contact the Tecumseh Planning and Building Services Department at 519-735-2184, ext. 123.