The Tecumseh Police Services Board is mandated by the Ontario Police Services Act and is responsible for the provision of adequate and effective police services within the municipality.
Police services in the Town are provided by the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) through a contract between the Town and the Province. The Town is one of five municipalities administered through the Essex County OPP Detachment.
The Police Services Board consists of five members, three appointed by the Town and two appointed by the Province. The responsibilities of the Board are established by the Police Services Act and are generally described as follows:
- To establish local policies for police services, after consultation with the Detachment Commander.
- To determine objectives and priorities for police services, after consultation with the Detachment Commander.
- To monitor the performance of the Detachment Commander.
- To receive regular reports from the Detachment Commander on policing activities as well as complaints and any secondary activities by police officers in the detachment.
- Submitting estimated budget requirements to Town Council.
Meetings of the Board are held in Council Chambers at Town Hall, and members of the public are welcome to attend.
The schedule of meetings for 2017 is as follows (all meetings at 4:30 pm):
- Thursday,January 12, 2017
- Thursday, April 13, 2017
- Thursday, June 8, 2017
- Thursday, September 14, 2017
- Thursday, October 12, 2017
- Thursday, December 14, 2017
Ellen Preuschat, Recording Secretary
519-735-2184 x 114